Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Dear Child who has made some bad choices....

Dear child who has made some bad choices.

No matter what choices you make, you are always my child.  I will always love you.  You know when you have disappointed me, you know my opinions and you don’t have to have the same.  You can question my opinions, but don’t question my love.  Since the day you came to our home I have loved you.

I’ve probably enabled you too much, wanting and seeing the good heart you have, wishing to change your destiny – praying that your path would be a good one.  Today I am sad.  Sad at your choices, sad that they will have ongoing legal consequences for you….that you know right from wrong and can’t own your actions.  I’ve heard the excuses for years, discouraged as we worked hard to raise you to own your actions and sad at where we are today.

I understand impulsivity.  But I also understand moral choice.  You are not a reflection of my moral choices nor your Dad’s.  You are your own person, an adult now.  We will painfully step away so that those consequences handed down are yours to hold and live with.  You so many times remind me you aren’t a kid – you are 18.  While I see an emotionally immature 18 year old….what comes is yours.  We have done our best.  I pray God has good plans for you yet.  I pray this isn’t the path you’ll continue on.

I still have hope and dreams for you and your future – it is all yours to own.  We as parents will always be there to encourage you…but you need to take wing, own this and go on your path….

I am reminded of Christ who died on a cross, beside him two thieves, praying you too will find your way to Christ someday, and I await that day in anticipation – I await that joy.  Meanwhile, I pray for the strength to survive these days....

Luke 23:   40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[d]  43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

No comments:

Popular Posts